Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alvvays

Mr. Gregory

2014Alvvays_Press_80714_resized.jpg

Official Website

Current members:
  • Molly Rankin (vocals, guitar)
  • Kerri MacLellan (keyboards)
  • Alec O'Hanley (guitar)
  • Brian Murphy (bass)
  • Sheridan Riley (drums - not pictured)
Albums:
Alvvays is a Canadian alternative/indie rock band. They're probably my favorite band in that genre right now and are easily one of my favorite bands overall. They play chilled out modern alternative rock with a hint of a melancholy vibe. They almost sound like something I would have heard in the '90s had I been into music back then. I love Molly's gentle, soothing vocals. They're one of my go-to bands whenever I'm in the mood for something that isn't quite as frenetic or angry as the hard rock and metal that I listen to.

They were one of the first bands that I got into when I started mellowing out and exploring this style of music a couple of years ago. I started out with their self-titled album because that's all that was out at the time, and it's very, very good. It's just so immediately accessible yet manages to hold your attention from beginning to end, which is really hard to pull off in my opinion. Their newest album, Antisocialites, took me a while to get into at first, but once it finally grabbed ahold of me, it wouldn't let go. Just a great album by a great band.

This was the first song of theirs that I heard. It's the opening track from their debut album. I was immediately intrigued because the video looked and the music sounded like something I would have heard and seen as a kid.

Adult Diversion (from self-titled album)

This is the second track off of their debut album and is one of their more popular songs. So good.

Archie, Marry Me (from self-titled album)

This is my favorite song from their debut album. Once I heard this, I knew I had found one of my new favorite bands.

Next of Kin (from self-titled album)

Here's the first single and opening track from Antisocialites. I couldn't wait for that album to come out after hearing this.

In Undertow (from Antisocialites)

And last but not least, here's my favorite song from Antisocialites, though trying to pick a favorite song of theirs is like being a parent and trying to pick your favorite child. I love everything about it, from the soft, melancholy opening to the slow fade out at the end.

Not My Baby (from Antisocialites)

Last edited:
Wow, I was talking about this fab WIMPLESS pop band the other day at the local :). We all agreed over a good beer that Alvvays makes us totally forget CRAPPY acts like Lady Gaga, Bieber and Eilish :):)

Mr. Gregory

Wow, I was talking about this fab WIMPLESS pop band the other day at the local :). We all agreed over a good beer that Alvvays makes us totally forget CRAPPY acts like Lady Gaga, Bieber and Eilish :):)

Hey, hey, Gaga's one of maybe two or three mainstream pop artists that I can actually tolerate, and I like that one Billie Eilish song "You Should See Me In A Crown," probably because it was in one of the recent WWE 2K games. :gig:

I do love me some Alvvays, though. Blue Rev hasn't fully grown on me yet, but I've only listened to it maybe one and a half times. I already know that I'll eventually love it, so I'm not fretting.

Hey, hey, Gaga's one of maybe two or three mainstream pop artists that I can actually tolerate, and I like that one Billie Eilish song "You Should See Me In A Crown," probably because it was in one of the recent WWE 2K games. :gig:

I do love me some Alvvays, though. Blue Rev hasn't fully grown on me yet, but I've only listened to it maybe one and a half times. I already know that I'll eventually love it, so I'm not fretting.
No way ......I can't stand Gaga's guts (if she has any !!:):)) .....sorry I agree to disagree ! That dunce once said she was inspired by Led Zeppelin (I doubt she even knew who they were) ......yeah, and I'm King Arthur.....how can anyone listen to that dunce once you listen to Alvvays ??? As for Eilish, I like some songs but she has no musical substance !

Mr. Gregory

No way ......I can't stand Gaga's guts (if she has any !!:):)) .....sorry I agree to disagree ! That dunce once said she was inspired by Led Zeppelin (I doubt she even knew who they were) ......yeah, and I'm King Arthur.....how can anyone listen to that dunce once you listen to Alvvays ??? As for Eilish, I like some songs but she has no musical substance !

So judgy! :gig:

I used to be the biggest music snob when I first got into metal. If it wasn't my specific kind of metal that I wanted to hear, it was inferior, and I was not interested. I eventually softened up and got over it.

I used to not like Gaga, along with pretty much all other pop artists not named Taylor Swift (that's another story for another time), until I saw her Super Bowl Halftime Show performance a few years ago. That type of abridged performance typically isn't my thing at all, but I watched it with an open mind, and afterwards, I was like "y'know, she actually does have talent. She's just not for me." Then I listened to her Chromatica album a couple of years later, and I actually enjoyed it for what it was. I like that she does more of an electronica/dance thing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Music is a subjective form of entertainment. As such, there is really no right or wrong way to do it. It's all a matter of opinion. You'll never catch me arguing about it or tearing artists and genres/subgenres of music down that I don’t like. I just don't listen to them. To each their own, my man.

So judgy! :gig:

I used to be the biggest music snob when I first got into metal. If it wasn't my specific kind of metal that I wanted to hear, it was inferior, and I was not interested. I eventually softened up and got over it.

I used to not like Gaga, along with pretty much all other pop artists not named Taylor Swift (that's another story for another time), until I saw her Super Bowl Halftime Show performance a few years ago. That type of abridged performance typically isn't my thing at all, but I watched it with an open mind, and afterwards, I was like "y'know, she actually does have talent. She's just not for me." Then I listened to her Chromatica album a couple of years later, and I actually enjoyed it for what it was. I like that she does more of an electronica/dance thing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Music is a subjective form of entertainment. As such, there is really no right or wrong way to do it. It's all a matter of opinion. You'll never catch me arguing about it or tearing artists and genres/subgenres of music down that I don’t like. I just don't listen to them. To each their own, my man.
I get your point fully. Gaga might have pop talent, but she just doesn't have any metal or rock talent, despite the fact she tries to bring that msg out ! She's simply pure pop...and the worst kind, I can safely say this after over 50 years if listening to all types of music. Taylor Swift ? Well, she eats off Gaga's head :):)

Mr. Gregory

I listened to Blue Rev again yesterday. It usually takes two or three listens for an Alvvays album to click with me, and this one was no exception. Hearing "After The Earthquake" again was all I needed to start getting into it. I love this band. :giggle:

I listened to Blue Rev again yesterday. It usually takes two or three listens for an Alvvays album to click with me, and this one was no exception. Hearing "After The Earthquake" again was all I needed to start getting into it. I love this band. :giggle:
They got under my skin pretty quickly .......thanks for the heads up :):)

Last edited:

Mr. Gregory

Yessir, Blue Rev is another great Alvvays album. I can't get enough of it. "After the Earthquake" and these two songs are my current favorites from it, but I like pretty much every song.

Pressed

Many Mirrors

Last edited:

Mr. Gregory

It says videos not available :(
They're working fine for me. The videos are from their official YouTube channel. They might be region locked somehow since you're in Australia.

I created this thread a while ago, so I didn't do it in the OP, but these days, I try to put the titles of the songs above the videos just in case things like that ever happen. Look for them on YouTube. Or, even better, just buy the album or listen to it on a streaming service if you use one of those.

They're working fine for me. The videos are from their official YouTube channel. They might be region locked somehow since you're in Australia.

I created this thread a while ago, so I didn't do it in the OP, but these days, I try to put the titles of the songs above the videos just in case things like that ever happen. Look for them on YouTube. Or, even better, just buy the album or listen to it on a streaming service if you use one of those.
Hi. I'm currently in the EU for work , but I cannot see those vids......too bad :(

Y'all got Spotify over there? Signing up for that was the best musical decision I've ever made. You could be listening to Blue Rev and much, much more on there if you're not already doing so.
Y'all got Spotify over there? Signing up for that was the best musical decision I've ever made. You could be listening to Blue Rev and much, much more on there if you're not already doing so.
I don't like Spotify much, but don't ask me why coz I dunno ....I'm more of a Bancamp nerd :)

Mr. Gregory

I don't like Spotify much, but don't ask me why coz I dunno ....I'm more of a Bancamp nerd :)
I love Spotify, and I'm glad that Bandcamp exists. When I used to buy all my music, before I finally gave in to music streaming, I loved Bandcamp. I like that you can give a band/artist more than the standard price for an album if you want and can send the band/artist a note of appreciation. I've definitely done that a few times.

Alvvays is on Bandcamp as well, as is Blue Rev, so no excuses. Get on there and listen to 'em! :giggle:

Last edited:
I love Spotify, and I'm glad that Bandcamp exists. When I used to buy all my music, before I finally gave in to music streaming, I loved Bandcamp. I like that you can give a band/artist more than the standard price for an album if you want and can send the band/artist a note of appreciation. I've definitely done that a few times.

Alvvays is on Bandcamp as well, as is Blue Rev, so no excuses. Get on there and listen to 'em! :giggle:

I will.....and the lass is eye candy as well :):) Ty man.