Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

April Wine

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: April Wine

Members:

Myles Goodwyn
Gary Moffet

Steve Lang
Jerry Mercer

Albums:

April Wine (1971)
On Record (1972)
Electric Jewels (1973)
Stand Back (1975)
The Whole World's Goin' Crazy (1976)
Forever For Now (1977)
First Glance (1978)
Harder ... Faster (1979)
The Nature Of The Beast (1981)
Power play (1982)
Animal Grace (1984)
Walking Through Fire (1986)
Attitude (1993)
Frigate (1994)
Back To the Mansion (2001)
Roughly Speaking (2006)

April Wine is a Canadian rock band formed in 1969. According to the band, they chose the name 'April Wine' simply because members thought the two words sounded good together. The band has released more than twenty albums and forged a live performance reputation that still sees them drawing devoted crowds across Canada and around the world more than forty years after taking their first steps into the hard rock spotlight.

Last edited:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I hadn't heard any of April Wine's early stuff before creating all the album threads, I was very surprised by how different it was from the latter stuff.

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
When I lived in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan in the late 70’s these guys were across the river in Soo Canada once a month and on the Canadian rock stations constantly. Great band, never went across the river to see them.

Slow Poke

The only song I knew by these guys, (way back when) was "Just Between You And Me". Honestly, I thought they were a sissy band. It wasn't until much later that I found out they did "Roller" and "I Like To Rock". The name kind of threw me as well, "April Wine" sounds like the name of a sissy band. They're not though, they rock pretty hard.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
R-8568853-1464218704-7969_jpeg.jpg

Gave this album a listen today. I consider this the "Classic Lineup" and you can hear how this album was beginning to shape up into the sound of my favorite April Wine album, Harder Faster. This whole album is solid.....

Silver Dollar

Roller

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you on the classic line up, I believe their best music was with the group of guys shown above. What's amazing is how much their music changed from the first album to Harder Faster, it's like night and day.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the music changed drastically. I listened to the debut album today, too, and I would have not known it was April Wine if I were hearing it blind folded. The debut lineup:

April-Wine-cover.jpg

It is a really good album. Reminds me of an album that you would hear from Bob Dylan, just a tad heavier.

Fast Train

Wench

If you are interested, here is the Album Play list

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
April Wine (the debut) will celebrate its 50th birthday September 30, 2021.

April-Wine-cover.jpg

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
The Whole World's Goin' Crazy will celebrate its 45th birthday September 29, 2021.

Wikipedia
The Whole World's Goin' Crazy is the fifth studio album by Canadian rock band April Wine, released in September 1976 (See 1976 in music). With the release of this album Steve Lang had replaced Jim Clench on bass. It reached #1 in Canada on the RPM national album chart on May 8, 1976, and remained there for two weeks. The album was the first in Canadian history to have platinum advanced sales orders.
sddefault.png

Gimme Love

So Bad