Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Oak Arkansas

brenluvbirds

Official Website: Black Oak Arkansas

Members:

Jim "Dandy" Mangrum
Rickie "Ricochet" Reynolds
Pat "Dirty" Daugherty
Harvey "Burley" Jett
Stanley "Goober" Knight
Wayne "Sweezebox" Evens

Albums:

Black Oak Arkansas (1971)
Keep The Faith (1972)
If An Angel Came To See You, Would You Make Her Feel At Home? (1972)
High On The Hog (1973)
Street Party (1974)
Ain't Life Grand (1975)
X-Rated (1975)
10 Year Overnight Success (1976)
Rebound (1992)

Black Oak Arkansas is an American southern rock band named after the band's hometown of Black Oak, Arkansas, USA. The band reached the height of its fame in the 1970s with ten charting albums released in that decade. Their style is punctuated by multiple guitar players and the raspy voice and on-stage antics of vocalist Jim "Dandy" Mangrum. The group, originally called "The Knowbody Else", was formed in 1965 in Black Oak, Arkansas, by Jim "Dandy" Mangrum (vocals), Rickie Reynolds (guitar), Stanley Knight (guitar), Harvey Jett (guitar), Pat Daugherty (bass), and Wayne Evans (drums). Their first PA system was stolen from a local high school. Members of the group were subsequently charged in absentia with grand larceny and sentenced to 26 years at the Tucker Prison Farm (this sentence was later suspended). This led to their retreat to the hills of rural northeast Arkansas where they lived off the land and refined their musical style. Some of their influences during this time were The Beatles and The Byrds. The Knowbody Else moved to Memphis, Tennessee, in 1969 and signed a record deal with Stax Records. Their debut album (and only album with Stax), The Knowbody Else, was largely ignored by the populace. During this time the band became interested in psychedelia and Eastern spiritualism which, combined with their Southern Baptist upbringing, contributed to their sound. After several trips to Los Angeles, California, in 1970, the band was signed by Atco Records and rechristened "Black Oak Arkansas". Their new debut album, Black Oak Arkansas, was released in 1971 while the band toured extensively, gaining a reputation as a live act. The twin album releases that followed in 1972, Keep the Faith and If An Angel Came To See You, Would You Make Her Feel At Home, expanded on the group's eclectic musical style. In 1973, Black Oak Arkansas released their fourth album, Raunch 'N' Roll Live and introduced a new drummer, Tommy Aldridge. It was their fifth album, High on the Hog, released later that year, that established solid commercial success by peaking at number 52 on the Billboard charts. Vocalist Ruby Starr also toured with the band during this period. Her raspy voice can be heard on the group's remake of LaVern Baker's 1957 hit "Jim Dandy," which reached number 25 on Billboard's Hot 100. The 1974 release of Street Party may have failed to maintain the momentum. However, another 1974 release, entitled Early Times, an overlooked Stax recording, made up for lost time. In 1975, the original lineup of Black Oak Arkansas (minus Harvey Jett, who was replaced by Jimmy Henderson) released their last album, Ain't Life Grand. A new version of the band, called Black Oak, was formed in 1977 around Jim "Dandy" Mangrum and Jimmy Henderson. Greg Reding (guitar and keyboards), Jack Holder (guitar), Andy Tanas (bass), and Joel Williams (drums) participated on the two Capricorn albums which were recorded in 1977 (Race With The Devil) and 1978 (I'd Rather Be Sailing). In 1978, guitarist Shawn Lane joined the band at age 14 and toured with the band for four years. Released in 1984, Ready As Hell debuted a heavier sound with pinch harmonics and keyboards featured throughout. The album also marked the return of Rickie Lee Reynolds on rhythm guitar. In 1986, The Black Attack Is Back continued the heavy style of the previous album and featured the particularly adventurous track "I Want A Woman With Big Titties". Despite that lack of subtlety, the album is widely regarded as the finest of the band's long career, with the greatest lineup to date. Still, it made no commercial headway. James Mangrum has continued recording and touring with a series of different Black Oak lineups up to present day. Black Oak Arkansas currently enjoys a loyal fan following. However, the later lineups have yet to duplicate the level of album sales that the original lineup generated in the early-mid 1970s. Jim Dandy is credited with inspiring Van Halen front-man David Lee Roth's image and onstage persona as well. In 2008, Boston newspaper 'The Phoenix' named them the All Time Best Band from Arkansas.

Ruby Starr and Jim Dandy

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Bren, I think you and I saw Black Oak Arkansas back in the day, didn't they open for Ozzy back in march of 83' at the Metro Center in Rockford?

brenluvbirds

Bren, I think you and I saw Black Oak Arkansas back in the day, didn't they open for Ozzy back in march of 83' at the Metro Center in Rockford?
hmm is that the time he got sick and had to be rushed to Swedes? heart problems? I don't recall the opening act... if I have to say I've seen BOA I would have to say "No" unless I just don't remember! :(

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
hmm is that the time he got sick and had to be rushed to Swedes? heart problems? I don't recall the opening act... if I have to say I've seen BOA I would have to say "No" unless I just don't remember! :(
Yes, that was the night he was rushed to Swedes with chest pains. But now I'm beginning to wonder if BOA opened for Ozzy or some other band,...I remember Foghat playing that night as well. Old age and memory loss is a bitch! :confused:

Rockford Register Star-Ozzy Concert

Last edited:

brenluvbirds

Yes, that was the night he was rushed to Swedes with chest pains. But now I'm beginning to wonder if BOA opened for Ozzy or some other band,...I remember Foghat playing that night as well. Old age and memory loss is a bitch! :confused:

Rockford Register Star-Ozzy Concert
yeah I really don't remember who opened, I probably wasn't interested, just wanted to see Ozzy!