Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper

Eric Clapton- Guitars and vocals
Jack Bruce- Lead Vocals and Bass
Ginger Baker- Drums and Raving Lunatic.

Discography

Considered to be the first successful Super Group. Cream formed in 1966 and disbanded in 1969. In those 3 years they left an indelible mark on Rock music. One of my favorite bands from that era.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMaddVibe

The Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers and Derek & The Dominoes all prove that Eric Clapton needs to be in the confines of a group.

Left to his own devices he churns out forgettable sloppy and just plain old bad music.

Cream is probably the pinnacle of his creativity. However, don't discount Jack Bruce's contributions to this group. His solo stuff sounds more like Cream than Eric's. Really makes one wonder who was writing the bulk of the material.

Jack's take on why the band called it quits.

SiphonOfDestruction

Clapton is one of my favorite musicians, and would be my top guitarist if he were simply better at solo work...

He's the greatest guitarist alive, second only to Hendrix, but I agree with the above about some of his sloppy and generic solo output.

Cream and Derek and the Dominoes are his finest hours. I remember listening to Disraeli Gears non-stop daily because I couldn't get over how great this king supergroup was.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know the story of how the "Disraeli Gears" album got it's name? Apparently, a roadie or someone close to the band was talking about a ten speed bike, and how it had "derailer gears" only he didn't say "derailer" he said "disraeli" as in "Benjamin Disreali",...well, Clapton and the band thought it was so funny that they named the album they were working on,...."Disreali Gears",.....true story!

Another note: Clapton did the art work on the cover of Disreali Gears, he attended the same art school as another soon to be famous rock musician,....David Bowie,...who then was going by his given name, David Jones (like Davey Jones from the Monkee's), and that's why David Jones adopted the stage name of David Bowie,.... Another true story!

Last edited:

DrMaddVibe

He's the greatest guitarist alive, second only to Hendrix, but I agree with the above about some of his sloppy and generic solo output.
John McLaughlin is still alive and that's who Hendrix would seek out for lessons or help.

So is Eddie Van Halen, John 5, Junior Brown, David Gilmore, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, Tommy Iommi, Steven Wilson, Jeff Beck...I can keep going too. I'd rate all of them above Clapton as well. I kinda put him a a notch below Keith Richards as far as raw talent. Keef is still alive too! Not trying to start a war or discount your opinion (or others) it's just I firmly believe that he owes a LOT to the band mates he's been with because they were obviously the ones the got his creativity to its highest points. Without them, he flounders in a sea of mediocrity.

SiphonOfDestruction

John McLaughlin is still alive and that's who Hendrix would seek out for lessons or help.

So is Eddie Van Halen, John 5, Junior Brown, David Gilmore, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, Tommy Iommi, Steven Wilson, Jeff Beck...I can keep going too. I'd rate all of them above Clapton as well. I kinda put him a a notch below Keith Richards as far as raw talent. Keef is still alive too! Not trying to start a war or discount your opinion (or others) it's just I firmly believe that he owes a LOT to the band mates he's been with because they were obviously the ones the got his creativity to its highest points. Without them, he flounders in a sea of mediocrity.
I wholeheartedly agree with your list. David Gilmore is my favorite guitarist after Randy Rhoads.

I'm surprised you know who Junior Brown is... a very underrated guitarist. His medleys with unique twists are nuts.

But Clapton... does owe a lot, and I'm sure he shows it.
He introduced JJ Cale once on stage and said something like, "Allow me to introduce my hero." He is very humble for being a virtuoso, and charitable.

DrMaddVibe

I wholeheartedly agree with your list. David Gilmore is my favorite guitarist after Randy Rhoads.

I'm surprised you know who Junior Brown is... a very underrated guitarist. His medleys with unique twists are nuts.

But Clapton... does owe a lot, and I'm sure he shows it.
He introduced JJ Cale once on stage and said something like, "Allow me to introduce my hero." He is very humble for being a virtuoso, and charitable.
When it comes to Music...I listen to it all. I lean more towards Prog because I find it "intelligent" and well produced. I can listen to Classical, Jazz, Hip Hop, Rap, Reggae, Punk, Ska, Funk, Rock, Country and everything in between. If its good...I'm usually all over it. I have a 2TB MP3 collection of discographies of artists....well, it's over 10000 characters!