Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If You Could Only Listen To One CD .........

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
If you could only listen to one CD for the rest of your life, what CD would that be?

{{{{MIX CD's are OK, too}}}}

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
It's a toss up for me. Either/ Or.....Aerosmith - Get Your Wings or Queensryche - Empire

better make it Get Your Wings. I would die if I could never listen to Aerosmith again.

Lynch

Tough one. I used to say that I'd want a double album for the length and variety of songs. I've kind of loosened up on those views as I get older and would just as soon have something I don't think I could ever get sick of.

I'll steer clear of any mix-disc as that could be an entire topic unto itself.

Top 5 (today, ask me next month and it might be different)
  • KISS - Alive! (1975)
  • Lynch Mob - Lynch Mob (1992)
  • Metallica - Metallica (Black album, 1991)
  • Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
  • AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)

I'd be happy with any one of those, someone else choose one for me.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that is tough. Who cares alot? The Faith No More greatest hits album but I'll be looking to trade it in a few weeks. Only one for the rest of my life? That is torture!
That's what I'm here for, to torture you. :p

Pat Catalano

:eek: Just one!!?? I will say Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime" then later I will change my mind but how can you pick one? Can I burn my favorite songs to a CD? :unsure:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
This creates a paradox, if you choose your favorite music, then listen to it exclusively for the rest of your life, it very soon, will not be your favorite for very long. There is no music that you won't burn out on eventually. A good strategic decision would be to choose a double album that you really like, such as Physical Graffiti, or The Wall, that way you'd have the maximum amount of songs to listen too, burn out would take longer that way.

Mr. Gregory

Yeah, this is pretty much a musical death sentence, but if that was the case, I'd have to choose Hybrid's Wider Angle (Special Edition).

R-27821-1207066807.jpeg-450x398.jpg

It's not a metal, hard rock, or alternative rock album - it's electronic music with breakbeats and orchestral elements mixed in. It's one of the first albums that I ever listened to, and it's pretty much the only one from those early days of first getting into music that I can still listen to and enjoy today and proudly say that it's still one of my favorites.

This album and this group completely changed the game for me as far as music is concerned, so much so that I'm struggling to find the words to adequately express it. I mean, when I listened to this album for the first time, I had the same reaction as this cat right here.

Pat Catalano

This creates a paradox, if you choose your favorite music, then listen to it exclusively for the rest of your life, it very soon, will not be your favorite for very long. There is no music that you won't burn out on eventually. A good strategic decision would be to choose a double album that you really like, such as Physical Graffiti, or The Wall, that way you'd have the maximum amount of songs to listen too, burn out would take longer that way.
To be honest I think no mater what you bring with you it will tun into living hell sooner or later. I was just recently able to listen to Pandora at work at my desk. I started my Queensryche station and for a weeks I was happy, Then I started my Huey Lewis and the News to change things up a bit and again I was happy for about a week or so. after bouncing between the 2 I quickly became board looking for new music lol Burn out is real!

Lynch

I haven't ever listened to Pandora, but it sounds similar in a lot of ways to something that Yahoo had years ago, called Launch (or Launchcast). It was basically an attachment to their chat application, or could be viewed via a web browser (we're talking early to mid 2000's, there wasn't any "apps" at that time).

The way that worked was you could listen to stations that were made and hosted on the Launch site. They would have names that indicated the type of music played, but it didn't mean it was exclusively that band or artist. Something similar would be like on XM radio, there's a channel called "Ozzy's Boneyard". So, the style of music is similar to Ozzy and Sabbath, but certainly not even close to ONLY Ozzy/Sabbath. These were the same. You could also create your own station a couple of different ways. The way that I used it for my own station was I ran it directly off of my own song ratings. Ie; you'd likely hear a lot of Dokken, Metallica, Scorpions, AC/DC, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Tesla, Queensryche, Dio, etc, etc because I always voted 5 out of 5 stars on those bands and albums. You'd never hear Nirvana, Radiohead or U2 because they'd always get the lowest possible rating from me.

Anyway, I had a paid subscription to this service for a few years and really loved it. Not sure if Pandora works like that or not. Anyway, I get what you are saying though, listen to one station for any length of time, and you'd find that it was basically the same 60 or 70 songs on shuffle.

Pat Catalano

I haven't ever listened to Pandora, but it sounds similar in a lot of ways to something that Yahoo had years ago, called Launch (or Launchcast). It was basically an attachment to their chat application, or could be viewed via a web browser (we're talking early to mid 2000's, there wasn't any "apps" at that time).

The way that worked was you could listen to stations that were made and hosted on the Launch site. They would have names that indicated the type of music played, but it didn't mean it was exclusively that band or artist. Something similar would be like on XM radio, there's a channel called "Ozzy's Boneyard". So, the style of music is similar to Ozzy and Sabbath, but certainly not even close to ONLY Ozzy/Sabbath. These were the same. You could also create your own station a couple of different ways. The way that I used it for my own station was I ran it directly off of my own song ratings. Ie; you'd likely hear a lot of Dokken, Metallica, Scorpions, AC/DC, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Tesla, Queensryche, Dio, etc, etc because I always voted 5 out of 5 stars on those bands and albums. You'd never hear Nirvana, Radiohead or U2 because they'd always get the lowest possible rating from me.

Anyway, I had a paid subscription to this service for a few years and really loved it. Not sure if Pandora works like that or not. Anyway, I get what you are saying though, listen to one station for any length of time, and you'd find that it was basically the same 60 or 70 songs on shuffle.
That is exactly how Pandora works, Queensryche Station plays Queensryche and similar artists. Also throws in an occasional odd ball group and if you hit the like button it will add that song and songs similar to the rotation. The more songs you chose to like the more the station is tailored to you. It's cool and sure beats Chicago radio. we just lost our flag ship rock station The LOOP a few months ago. I have been burned out on that station for the last 10 years. I have no idea how many times they could " Get the LED out"!! or "Two for Tuesdays" lol you could predict every song they would play in a day. Ozzy recorded something besides "Crazy Train" and "Mamma i'm coming home" they did the same with most of the music they played. Bringing this back to a point.. lol it's easy to get burned out quick.