Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classic Metal Judas Priest

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website

Members:

Rob Halford
Glenn Tipton
K.K. Downing
Ian Hill
Alan Moore

Albums: (with links to album information)
One of the most influential old school metal bands ever, second in importance only to Black Sabbath, my favorite album from the Priest is Sad Wings of Destiny.

Victim of Changes

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Sad Wings is one of my faves, too. I also like British Steel & Stained Class. Painkiller is decent, too.

Lynch

Probably my all-time favorite metal band!

:headbang:

The only other bands that would even come close would be Dio, Black Sabbath, Metallica and ..... eeesh, I'd have to think long and hard to find anything outside of those three that even comes close.

I'm sure I'll be revisiting this thread many times.

Lynch

Judas Priest was in town tonight with Saxon and the unofficial cover band that sometimes goes by the name Thin Lizzy (I forget the name they are going under right now, Black Star Riders or something like that)>

I wanted to go SO bad, but couldn't make it to this show for multiple reasons. Sucks because with Glenn no longer able to tour, I'm not sure how long they'll tour together. Time will tell.

Lynch

Here's a few pictures that have been shamelessly 'borrowed' from people that were at tonight's show in Minneapolis:

JP2.jpg JP4.jpg
JP3.jpg JP1.jpg
JP0b.jpg

Lynch

One of the most influential old school metal bands ever, second in importance only to Black Sabbath
For many years, I have called Black Sabbath the Grandfathers of metal and in the same breath, referred to Judas Priest as the Godfathers of metal. My opinion is the same as yours in that I firmly believe that the two bands are the most important and influential metal bands of all time.

DrMaddVibe

For many years, I have called Black Sabbath the Grandfathers of metal and in the same breath, referred to Judas Priest as the Godfathers of metal. My opinion is the same as yours in that I firmly believe that the two bands are the most important and influential metal bands of all time.
And sadly...JP isn't in the RRHOF!

Mr. Gregory

Painkiller

has a killer drum intro!
I never really listened to these guys extensively - just a song or two here and there - but I think it's time to take the plunge. Everyone's raving about Firepower, which just came out this year, so I bought that and Painkiller. Here we go! :D

DrMaddVibe

Also, listen to the song posted above "Victim of Changes" as well as the whole Sad Wings of Destiny album. The Priest's early stuff is killer, IMHO!
+1 on listening to Sad Wings Of Destiny...KILLER stuff...especially when you put it into perspective when it was released?!?

Peter Frampton...Fleetwood Mac...Leo Sayer...were running the Top40!

Yea...they belong in the RRHOF. The fact that Bon Jovi made it there before them and they accepted it??? Absurd bullshit.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
More JP for the ears....and the soul.

Angel such a beautiful song, one of my favorites. From the 2005 album Angel of Retribution

Beyond the Realms of Death. Another beautiful song that also kicks ass. From the 1978 album Stained Class

Before the Dawn. Rob Halford has such a moving vocal display and the SOLO...OMG! KK Downing slams it out of the park.....From the 1978 album Killing Machine.

Lynch

All three of those songs are awesome! Most people don't think of JP as being ballady, but they definitely had some good ones. Angel is a fantastic song on an album that is fantastic and rock solid from start to finish.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
All three of those songs are awesome! Most people don't think of JP as being ballady, but they definitely had some good ones. Angel is a fantastic song on an album that is fantastic and rock solid from start to finish.

Shhh! No one is suppose to notice that good metal bands make cheesy ballads.....lol

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Rob Halford kicks a phone out of a fan's hands during show.....The singer, without warning, ran to the front of the stage and gave the fan’s phone a strong kick “with great gusto,” sending the phone high into the air before it landed several rows back
(source)

:dm:

Good for Rob! It can be extremely annoying when people think they have a RIGHT to use their phones in places where a phone doesn't belong.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
He was probably taking video of the band's performance. I remember back in the the day, you weren't allowed to bring cameras or audio recrding equipment into a concert, they would search you before allowing you in. Now, everyone and their brother (except me) has a cell phone. Pretty hard to control bootleg videos anymore with that many cell phones, in fact, I don't think security even cares about that anymore.

Cell phones are a sore spot with me, I have friends that bug me all the time to "get with the times and get a cell phone" . But the truth is, I don't want to be reached all the time, a cell phone is an elecronic tether, a collar and leash for humans. I have certain friends who would pester me night and day if I had a cell. They would "bored" call me, you know, call me up and say whatchu doin'? To where I'd say "nothing now, I was doing something".

Another reason for my dislike for cells, is the whole tracking thing. The Government used to talk about putting chips in our hands so we "wouldn't have to put up with the horrors of carrying around credit cards". They don't talk about that any more, they don't need to, they can track everyone with ease now. Sorry my rant turned political, we frown upon that here, and for good reason.

Mr. Gregory

Rob Halford kicks a phone out of a fan's hands during show.....The singer, without warning, ran to the front of the stage and gave the fan’s phone a strong kick “with great gusto,” sending the phone high into the air before it landed several rows back
(source)

:dm:

Good for Rob! It can be extremely annoying when people think they have a RIGHT to use their phones in places where a phone doesn't belong.