Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lynryd Skynyrd

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: Lynryd Skynyrd

Members:

Ronnie Van Zant
Gary Rossington
Allen Collins
Ed King
Leon Wilkeson
Billy Powell
Bob Burns

Albums:

Pronounced (1973)
Second Helping (1974)
Nuthin' Fancy (1975)
Gimme Back My Bullets (1976)
Street Survivors (1977)
Lynryd Skynryd 1991 (1991)
The Last Rebel (1993)
Endangered Species (1994)
Twenty (1997)
Edge Of Forever (1999)
Christmas Time Again (2000)
Vicious Cycle (2003)
God & Guns (2009)
Last Of A Dying Breed (2012)

Lynyrd Skynyrd (pronounced, len-ərd-skin-ərd is an American rock band best known for popularizing the Southern hard rock genre during the 1970s. Originally formed in 1964 as the "Noble Five" in Jacksonville, Florida, the band rose to worldwide recognition on the basis of its driving live performances and signature tunes "Sweet Home Alabama," and "Free Bird." At the peak of their success, three members died in an airplane crash in 1977, putting an abrupt end to the band's most popular incarnation.
Surviving members re-formed in 1987 for a reunion tour with lead singer Ronnie Van Zant's younger brother Johnny as frontman. A version of the band continues to tour and record, with only Gary Rossington of its original members remaining as of 2012. Lynyrd Skynyrd was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 13, 2006.

Last edited:

Mr. Gregory

Another band that needs no introduction.

I got into these guys back in high school, before I was really even into music as a whole. I heard Sweet Home Alabama on the NASCAR Thunder 2002 video game and loved it. I heard rumblings somewhere online saying that the song (and the band) were racist, so I did a little research on them and quickly came to the opposite conclusion. Once I heard The Ballad of Curtis Loew, it was a wrap, and I knew I really liked them.

I haven't listened to them for a while, and I don't own any of their albums in their entirety. All I have is random songs that I managed to find using AltaVista's audio search back in the day. Here are but a few of my favorites that haven't already been posted.

The Ballad of Curtis Loew

Gimme Back My Bullets

Saturday Night Special

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller

And of course...

Free Bird

Last edited:
Hi Mr Gregory. I hope this Sunday finds you well and prosperous :) .
I find Manowar , just to name one stupid band, are more racist and bigots than Skynyrd (just listen to some of their lyrics).

Mr. Gregory

Hi Mr Gregory. I hope this Sunday finds you well and prosperous :) .
I find Manowar , just to name one stupid band, are more racist and bigots than Skynyrd (just listen to some of their lyrics).
Good morning! I'm good, thanks. Hope you are, too. I fixed those broken YouTube links in my post above.

Over the years, I have listened to music across multiple genres performed by people who have done some foul things, claim to have some foul beliefs, or both. Listening to their music didn't necessarily mean that I endorsed or shared their worldview or agreed with every decision they made throughout their lives.

It's often tough to know for sure what's truly in someone's heart. Most people who espouse foul beliefs are smart enough to keep those beliefs on the DL, since openly advocating for them will inevitably hurt their bottom line. Some do us a favor and reveal themselves to the world. Regardless of whether or not you decide to listen to them after that, at least you know what you're potentially getting yourself into.

Good morning! I'm good, thanks. Hope you are, too. I fixed those broken YouTube links in my post above.

Over the years, I have listened to music across multiple genres performed by people who have done some foul things, claim to have some foul beliefs, or both. Listening to their music didn't necessarily mean that I endorsed or shared their worldview or agreed with every decision they made throughout their lives.

It's often tough to know for sure what's truly in someone's heart. Most people who espouse foul beliefs are smart enough to keep those beliefs on the DL, since openly advocating for them will inevitably hurt their bottom line. Some do us a favor and reveal themselves to the world. Regardless of whether or not you decide to listen to them after that, at least you know what you're potentially getting yourself into.
Very true. I disfaunmlistening to garbge by Manowar for example. E.g. Ted Nugent has a loud mouth, but hisu music is divine :)