Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misleading Band Names

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Bands whose name misrepresents the music or who they are.

Alice Cooper. Who is really a man. ;)

Lynch

Alice Cooper. Who is really a man. ;)
Although Alice Cooper was a band when they were formed back in the 60's. the guy we know as Alice took on the band name as his own name sometime in the early to mid 70's. I'm honestly not even sure if he legally changed his name to Alice Cooper or not. (inquiring minds want to know).

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Doobie Brothers. When I was a kid and first heard this name, I thought they were brothers named "Doobie"

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
There's a funny story that goes along with The Doobie Brothers band name. They were searching for a new name after they were offered a recording contract. Apparently, the record execs. didn't like the name the band had currently, (and I can't blame them). The name they had before changing their name to the Doobie Brothers,...was Pud! So they were having trouble coming up with a name when someone close to the band said,...""Why don't you call yourselves the Doobie Brothers because you're always smoking",...and that's how the Doobie Brothers got their name,...true story!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
How about Budgie? If there ever was a band that didn't match their name, it's them. Budgie is short for budgerigar, it's a parakeet,...see the pic below.

Budgie "the band" were one on the heaviest bands of the early to mid 1970's, completely contrary to what their name would suggest.