Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hair Metal No, Really, Michael Bolton & Blackjack

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
In 1978 Michael Bolton tapped Bruce Kulick, a guitarist who had just completed a recent tour with Meat Loaf promoting Bat Out of Hell. The pair began writing songs together, and recruited drummer Sandy Gennaro and bassist Jimmy Haslip. With Steve Weiss as their manager, they signed to Polydor Records under the name Blackjack. They released 2 albums and then Bolton left to become the scourge off 80's Rock in 1980.

Discography

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I did not know this. Very interesting. The videos you posted are not bad at all. I will have to do some more digging into this Kulick & Bolton matchup.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
found this.....evidently it is a Bolton album with Kulick and Chuck Burji (Rainbow). I am kinda shocked at how good this is..............

Lynch

I used to have both of those Blackjack albums. There was definitely some decent tracks on both. It's weird what a different turn Bolton took when he went back to being a 'solo' act.

By the way, piece of trivia. Not only was Bruce Kulick the guitarist in Blackjack with Bolton, but he also played on at least 2 or 3 of Michael Bolton's solo albums in the 80's, even while he was in KISS. (and he was also the guitarist on Billy Squier's first album).

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I used to have both of those Blackjack albums. There was definitely some decent tracks on both. It's weird what a different turn Bolton took when he went back to being a 'solo' act.

By the way, piece of trivia. Not only was Bruce Kulick the guitarist in Blackjack with Bolton, but he also played on at least 2 or 3 of Michael Bolton's solo albums in the 80's, even while he was in KISS. (and he was also the guitarist on Billy Squier's first album).
Check out post #3. I posted one of Bolton's solo albums with Kulick and Burji of Rainbow......from the 80's.

Lynch

Yeah, I saw that after I had made my post. That was a decent album. one of the last ones Bolton did before he decided to go with the "adult contemporary" crooner motif.