Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Metal Primordial

Mr. Gregory

0012856863_10-600x450.jpg

Official Website

Current members:
  • Alan Averill (aka Nemtheanga) - Vocals
  • Ciáran MacUilliam - Guitar
  • Micheál O'Floinn - Guitar
  • Pól MacAmhlaigh - Bass
  • Simon O'Laoghaire - Drums
Albums:
Primordial is an Irish band that plays a blend of black metal and traditional folk/Celtic metal, but not in the Eluveitie sense where you have a hurdy gurdy, a flute, and other traditional folk instruments. Everything they do is guitar based, and they tend to play longer songs (usually between 5 and 8 minutes or so). Their lyrics tend to be historical/cultural and have pagan/heathen themes, which I dig.

They're one of my favorite bands. I love Nemtheanga's vocals - he just sings with so much passion and conviction. All of their albums are pretty darn good. Looking forward to Exile Amongst the Ruins, which comes out tomorrow, March 30th. Here's the first single they released from that album:

This is my favorite track from their previous album, Where Greater Men Have Fallen:

And this is a good one off of the album before that, Redemption at the Puritan's Hand:

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I like Eluveitie. :)
I like the tracks you posted. Give me the best album to start with.....and I will start from there.

Mr. Gregory

I like Eluveitie. :)
I like the tracks you posted. Give me the best album to start with.....and I will start from there.
I like Eluveitie too! I'll have to do a thread about them at some point. Maybe they'll be next.

As for Primordial, from my observation, most people tend to go for To the Nameless Dead first. That's probably a good place to start. Where Greater Men Have Fallen is my personal favorite of theirs, but you really can't go wrong with any of their stuff IMO.

Here's the opener from To the Nameless Dead.

Mr. Gregory

So, yeah, I listened to Exile Amongst the Ruins today, and it's a really good album, as I expected. I buy all my music and preordered this album, but Metal Blade Records, their current label, is streaming it on YouTube. It's a little over an hour. Check it out if you have some time to spare:

Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins

I also listened to To the Nameless Dead again today. I forgot how good that album is.

Mr. Gregory

Here are two more great songs, "The Coffin Ships" from The Gathering Wilderness, and one of my all time favorite songs of theirs, "Gods to the Godless" from Spirit the Earth Aflame.

Mr. Gregory

I've been listening to Primordial's newest album, How It Ends. I haven't gotten all the way through it yet, but it's great so far. These guys have aged like a fine wine. My current favorite songs from it so far are the intro/title track and the short instrumental interlude, Traidisiúnta.

How It Ends

Traidisiúnta