Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Accidentals

Mr. Gregory

The-Accidentals-2017-cr-Tony-Demin-billboard-1548.jpg.jpg

Official Website

Current members:
  • Savannah Buist - vocals, guitar, and various other instruments
  • Katie Larson - vocals, guitar, and various other instruments
  • Michael Dause - drums, vocals
Albums: (with links to album info & videos)
The Accidentals are an indie/alternative rock band from Michigan. They're three young kids with a ton of talent, potential, and a musical maturity beyond their years. I found them on Amazon Music when I was looking for new alternative/indie rock one day, and they completely caught me by surprise. They play a laid-back, generally upbeat style of alternative/indie folk rock that incorporates bits and pieces of various other genres of music, like jazz, americana, bluegrass, etc. Sav and Katie play all sorts of different instruments, including guitar, violin, cello, piano, ukulele, and more, while Michael backs them up on the drums.

I never really chose an Album of the Year for last year, because there were so many good ones. Odyssey was easily in my top three. It's just an incredibly pleasant breath of fresh air throughout and is an engaging, fun, easy listen. I highly, highly recommend it.

All three of these songs are from Odyssey:

Odyssey (opener and title track)

The Sound a Watch Makes When Enveloped in Cotton

In the Morning

Here's one from their 2016 EP, Parking Lot:

Epitaphs

Here's a nice, touching homage to @Oldhippie's home state:

Michigan and Again

Finally, here's my current favorite song from Vessel:

Marrow

Last edited:

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Holy Crap. I lived just north of Traverse City from 1987 to 2007. The opening scene of this video is at Bliss fest. Kind of a hippie, rock, Americana, folk and Rockabilly festival in Northern Michigan. The last band I was in played there in 2001. You just brought back a huge flood of memories my friend. When looking from the main stage we played in the tent farthest on the left.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
This is a new folk experience for me. While I was posting the albums in the Portfolio forum, I listened to Odyssey. Very laid back and mellow. This type female singer is not what I would listen to on a regular basis, but her voice is nice.

the kind of music I am use to hearing has females who sing opera or they scream at me.....lol

Mr. Gregory

So, The Accidentals' trailer with all of their equipment and merchandise got stolen about a month ago. I just found out about it last week.

The Accidentals Perform Intimate “Time Out” Shows After Equipment Stolen
On the heels of one of their worst experiences, The Accidentals are looking forward to one they expect to be among their best. Savannah Buist, Katie Larsen and Michael Dause have returned home to Northern Michigan after thieves stole $70,000 worth of equipment while they were on tour. Undaunted, Buist and Larsen will be heading onstage with The Crane Wives for three shows combining songs and storytelling, including a February 17 performance at the Ramsdell Regional Center for the Arts in Manistee. (More performance information below.)

The band’s troubles began when the check engine light went on in their van while they were out West. “We were embarking on a tour to get to NAMM,” Buist says. The annual National Association of Music Merchants trade show in Anaheim, California showcases the latest audio gear and instruments and also highlights off-the-cuff performances by musicians. The band pulled into Phoenix and discovered their van needed a new engine. But that wasn’t the worst of it. The next morning they discovered the trailer with most of their equipment was gone.

Their claim was denied by their insurance company as the trailer was parked outside their hotel and not attached to the van. They’d taken their string instruments to the room but lost all their amplification and audio equipment, merchandise and percussionist Dause’s drums.

Despite the blow, they managed to make it to NAMM where they performed and met with some of their sponsors in hopes of getting replacements for their stolen gear. “We got a little equipment. Michael got some drums,” Larsen says. “We’re borrowing, renting.”
They have a GoFundMe page set up and had set an initial goal of $35,000, which they've already reached. I made a small contribution. The page can be found here (mods, feel free to remove if this is somehow against the rules):

Help The Accidentals Replace Stolen Gear!