Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: The Eagles

Members:

Glenn Frey
Don Henley
Don Felder
Bernie Leadon
Randy Meisner

Albums:

The Eagles (1972)
Desperado (1973)
On The Border (1974)
One Of These Nights (1975)
Hotel California (1976)
The Long Run (1979)
Long Road Out Of Eden (2007)

The Eagles are an American rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1971 by Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner. With five number-one singles, six Grammy Awards, five American Music Awards, and six number one albums, the Eagles were one of the most successful musical acts of the 1970s. At the end of the 20th century, two of their albums, Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) and Hotel California, were ranked among the 20 best-selling albums in the United States according to the Recording Industry Association of America. Hotel California is ranked 37th in Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time" and the band was ranked number 75 on the magazine's 2004 list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.
The Eagles are one of the world's best-selling bands of all time, having sold more than 150 million records—100 million in the U.S. alone—including 42 million copies of Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) and 32 million copies of Hotel California. "Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)" was the best selling album of the 20th century in the U.S. They are the fifth-highest-selling music act and the highest-selling American band in U.S. history.
The Eagles released their self-titled debut album in 1972, which spawned three top 40 singles: "Take It Easy", "Witchy Woman", and "Peaceful Easy Feeling". Their next album, Desperado (1973), was less successful than the first, only reaching number 41 on the charts; neither of its singles reached the top 40. However, the album contained two of the band's most popular tracks: "Desperado" and "Tequila Sunrise". They released On the Border in 1974, adding guitarist Don Felder as its fifth member midway through the recording of the album. The album generated two top 40 singles: "Already Gone" and their first number one, "Best of My Love".
Their 1975 album One of These Nights included three top 10 singles: "One of These Nights", "Lyin' Eyes", and "Take It to the Limit", the first hitting the top of the charts. The Eagles continued that success and hit their commercial peak in late 1976 with the release of Hotel California, which would go on to sell more than 16 million copies in the U.S. alone and more than 32 million copies worldwide. The album yielded two number-one singles, "New Kid in Town" and "Hotel California". They released their last studio album for nearly 28 years in 1979 with The Long Run, which spawned three top 10 singles: "Heartache Tonight", "The Long Run", and "I Can't Tell You Why", the lead single being another chart-topping hit.
The Eagles disbanded in July 1980 but reunited in 1994 for the album Hell Freezes Over, a mix of live and new studio tracks. They have toured consistently since then and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. In 2007, the Eagles released Long Road Out of Eden, their first full studio album in 28 years and their sixth number one album. The next year they launched the Long Road Out of Eden Tour in support of the album. In 2013, they began the extended History of the Eagles Tour in conjunction with the band's documentary release, History of the Eagles.

Last edited:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to take a moment to talk about my favorite Eagle,...Don Felder,...not only did he write "Hotel California",....(Frey and Henley tried to steal the credit) but he brought it to them nearly intact,...

He was/is a supreme talent and could've risen far above the Eagles had he set his mind to it. His offering to the sound track to the animated movie "Heavy Metal" is testament to this man's creativity. To me this tune is a high point in a movie that was a huge part of my teen years,...

BTW,..this song still gives me chills when I hear it,...

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
I vividly remember when Hotel California was released. Joe Walsh joined the EAGLES? Then we listened to the album and realized what an excellent fit it was. This has always been a favorite band of mine. Great music..

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Was "Hotel California" supposed to be about the Manson family?
Don Henley told Rolling Stone magazine once that Hotel California was about “facing some of the harsh realities of fame and life in Hollywood.”

It wouldn't surprise me though if there has been an interpretation of they lyrics by critics to be metaphoric for occultism....like the Manson Family.

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Was "Hotel California" supposed to be about the Manson family?
Did a Google search on that. There are several interpretations of this songs and Manson is named in one of them. I did learn one thing from this search. For 46 years I thought a Colita was some sort of frajita or something, its the Spanish word for tumbleweed,

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
From what I've read about colita/colitas, it refers to marijuana. And the hotel in question is the Hotel De Coranado, known to be haunted with a number of spirits.

Edit: I got the hotel wrong, it was the Beverly Hills Hotel that inspired the title.

Last edited: