Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: http://www.zztop.com/

Members:

Billy Gibbons
Dusty Hill
Frank Beard

Albums: (The album name is a link to the album thread with album video)

ZZ Top's First Album (1971)
Rio Grande Mud (1972)
Tres Hombres (1973)
Fandango! (1974)
Tejas (1976)
Deguello (1979)
El Loco (1981)
Eliminator (1983)
Afterburner (1985)
Recycler (1990)
Antenna (1994)
Rhythmeen (1996)
XXX (1999)
Mescalero (2003)
La Futura (2012)

ZZ Top is an American rock band from Houston, Texas. Formed in 1969, the group consists of Billy Gibbons (guitar and vocals), Dusty Hill (bass and vocals), and Frank Beard (percussion). ZZ Top's early sound was rooted in blues but eventually grew to exhibit contemporary influences. Throughout their career they have maintained a sound based on Hill's and Beard's rhythm section support, accentuated by Gibbons' guitar and vocal style. Their lyrics often gave evidence of band's humor and thematically focus on personal experiences and sexual innuendos.
ZZ Top formed its initial lineup in 1969, consisting of Gibbons, Anthony Barajas (bass and keyboards) and Peter Perez (drums and percussion). After several incarnations, Hill and Beard joined within the following year. Molded into a professional act by manager Bill Ham, they were subsequently signed to London Records and released their debut album. They were successful as live performers, becoming known to fans as "that little ol' band from Texas", and their 1973 album Tres Hombres, according to AllMusic, propelled the band to national attention and "made them stars". In 1979, after returning from a one-and-a-half year break of touring, the group reinvented themselves with their hit album Degüello and the accompanying tour. ZZ Top incorporated New Wave and punk influences into their sound and performances, and embraced a more iconic image, with Gibbons and Hill sporting chest-length beards and sunglasses. Similar experimentation continued for the remainder of the 1980s and 1990s with varying levels of success. On their 2003 album Mescalero, ZZ Top adopted a more contemporary sound while maintaining their influences from their earlier musical pursuits.
Maintaining the same members for over forty years, ZZ Top has released 15 studio albums and are among the most popular rock groups, having sold more than 50 million albums worldwide, half of this in the United States alone. They have won three VMAs, and in 2004, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. VH1 ranked ZZ Top at number 44 in its list of the "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock". They have performed at many charity events and raised $1 million for the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale, Mississippi.

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I got exposed to ZZ Top my senior year in high school (1979), the Deguello album. Even today it is still my favorite album. Cheap Sunglasses was a radio staple....both rock radio and pop. That song was an anthem for us girls.

Another song we use to play on repeat was Low Down in the Street. Just love that funky groove!

I have bought this on vinyl, 8 track (twice), cassette, and CD.

Lynch

I think that my first real exposure to ZZ Top was in about 1982 when a friend of mine was playing El Loco a lot. I haven't listened to that album in ages, I may have to give it a spin-through tonight. Brings back great memories. Favorite track would have to be Tube Snake Boogie. Fun song, fun lyrics. I've been a fan of the band ever since. Every once in a while, I'll play those first two albums to regain my appreciation for where they came from to where they ended up. From 1971 to 1990, they are definitely one of my favorite bands. I don't play their music as often as I used to, but this thread will be a reminder to give them more spins

The one that got me hooked:

1524529831688.png

Tube Snake Boogie

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I never went back to the first 2 albums until my time in CRF (even wrote reviews on them). I had always heard that the First album and Rio Grande Mud weren't that good, until I heard them. They are quite humorous, lyrically speaking. I am a person that when I decide to collect the whole discography, I get the WHOLE DAMN THING...even if some of the albums are clinkers. Not that any ZZ Top albums are clinkers, well Antenna is kinda blah.

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Rio Grande Mud is right up there on my favorites list. Just Got Paid, Francene,Mushmouth Shouting, I gotta go play this right now. *singing, badly, Whiskey and MaMa*

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I never went back to the first 2 albums until my time in CRF (even wrote reviews on them). I had always heard that the First album and Rio Grande Mud weren't that good, until I heard them. They are quite humorous, lyrically speaking. I am a person that when I decide to collect the whole discography, I get the WHOLE DAMN THING...even if some of the albums are clinkers. Not that any ZZ Top albums are clinkers, well Antenna is kinda blah.

I'd say you got some bum info. The first album has some really fine tunes, "Brown Sugar", "Neighbor Neighbor", "Certified Blues", "Bedroom Thang", Goin' Down to Mexico", "Back Door Love Affair", hell, the whole album is superb.

Hammy

Have you heard the new song by these 2....which made its debut in May....

Holy Grail

(y)

I'm assuming this will show up on another Gibbons solo album (sounds like early ZZTop) or one by Fogerty. Either way, it's a good tune that takes me back in time.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
That little band from Texas has been around a long time and still sounds as good today as they did back in 1971.